Wednesday

Day 1 - Dairy Free

Well we officially have gone dairy free at our house!! After my 6 yr old's allergy test, we decided the best thing to do was start with dairy and see how the changes affect everyone. I can pleasantly say that nobody at our house really missed it! It is just day 1.

After my overwhelming experience on Monday with the grocery store, I pleasantly returned on Tuesday morning. I am happy to report the outcome was different this time. Instead of leaving with nothing but a big headache this time I returned home with lots of fruits, veggies and lots less money. I did realize that it would be a lot cheaper and smarter to learn to cook the basic things from scratch, like spaghetti sauce. I am nervous and excited about learning to cook again.

So for breakfast yesterday we had blueberry pancakes with soy milk, lunch we had peanut butter and banana sandwiches, and for dinner we had stir fry over rice with watermelon. The kids loved the veggies in the stir fry quite to my surprise. I do have to say that the gluten free dairy free bread was quite chewy. Thank goodness we only used bread on one side, it was more for dipping. I am looking for ideas of better gluten and dairy free bread, if anyone has any!

2 comments:

Big Mama Cass said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

what veggies did you put in your stir fry? i am thinking of making that next week

Mikki said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

We do a lot of dairy free stuff here. Soy milk has become a staple.. well soy or lactose free. I like Smart Balance's lactose free too.

Hope it works out for you.